- 1 tablespoon neutral oil (such as grapeseed)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 2 stalks lemon grass (bruise)
- 2 kaffir lime leaves
- 2.5 kilograms fresh cockles, clams or mussels
- 1/4 cup sake
- 2 cups chicken or fish stock
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons soft brown sugar
- 1/4 cup coriander leaves (chopped)
- 1 kilogram fresh udon noodles (or 400 grams dried noodles)
- Heat oil in a large pot. Sizzle garlic, chilli, lemon grass and lime leaves for a few seconds then add the shellfish and sake. Cover pot and cook over high heat, removing shellfish as they open.
- Remove kaffir leaves and lemon grass. Add all remaining ingredients except coriander leaves and noodles to the liquid in the pot and bring to a boil. Add coriander leaves.
- Cook or heat noodles according to packet instructions. Divide hot noodles between bowls then top with shellfish and boiling broth.