- 1 tsp Vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup Mirin
- 1/4 cup Red miso paste
- 1/4 cup Packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup Soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Grated ginger
- 1 kg Side of salmon, skin on and pin bones removed, cleaned and dried
- 2 Spring onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp Sesame seeds, toasted
- Heat your grill to high and arrange a rack in the middle of the oven. Line a large rimmed baking tray with tinfoil and coat the foil with the oil. Set aside.
- Whisk the mirin, miso, sugar, soy and ginger in a small bowl until combined. Reserve cup of the miso mixture in a small bowl and set aside. Sieve the remaining miso mixture, discarding the solids, and set aside.
- Place the salmon on the baking tray skin side down. With a sharp knife score the salmon with shallow diagonal cuts spaced 4 cm apart. Brush the salmon with the reserved miso mixture. Cover and chill for 30 minutes.
- Remove the salmon and place under the grill until it’s just opaque in the centre and golden brown on top, about 10–12 minutes. Remove the salmon and gently place it on a serving platter. Sprinkle with the spring onions and sesame seeds. Place the remaining sauce on the side.
Useful tip: If the side of salmon is longer than the baking tray, tuck the tail end of the fish under itself after the miso mixture has been applied.